Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fever-induced Articulations on Doom


Last night when I was sleeping my last sleep
Under the last roof of my last shelter –
I dreamed my last dream…

I saw the last flower being
burnt on the last pavement
I heard the last note of the last saxophone
being throttled to silence by the last gunshot

I saw two blind children being crushed under
the boot-heels
I heard their last mortal shrieks melting the
thin dark mist

I saw the last beggar being dragged to the gallows
I heard his last moans being gobbled up by
the last halo of the leper moon

I saw the last sons of the last bitches
playing with gunpowder –
their fingers showed their bones
I heard them shouting the last F-word
which crept past the last blue dungeon
of the last train – like a caterpillar

I saw the last gypsy lady reading
the Metamorphosis of Ovid aloud –
her smile faded out into the womb of the tonic-night
The words played around like an endless ring
of smoke and vapour and fume and such other
shit…

I saw the last teenager googling “Armageddon”
for the first time
I heard him whistling all his hopes away – he
whistled sharp and smart but he had no
lover

I saw the last poet writing his first poem
on love, and burning the pages away
I heard the last owl hooting thrice behind his
window pane…

I saw the last lovers parting for the first time
I heard their tears dripping down with the rain
into the last gutters where the last pile of filth
floated away to the silence of the doves’ breasts

I saw the last military tanks waiting, like
Vladimir and Estragon did for Godot,
to boom out for one last time
I heard their metal wheels ravishing
the shapely bosom of the virgin streets –

I saw the streets bleeding with the pain
of the final Resurrection that never happened
I heard them crying for the last piece
of the freedom-cake that the vagabond night
had preserved for them

I saw the last silent procession of men and women –
Like fallen soldiers they had been hoodwinked
by the falsities of faith hope and love
I heard the march of their feet rhyming
with the clamour of the chains of passion
that had bound them to the doom
of eternity

I saw the last holy book being dumped
at the garbage can
as the last litany swirled its way
up to the tired stars and nebulae

I saw the fumes from the burning river
bringing down the last darkness of the last night
I heard funeral sermon of the last old God
who had finally died…

And then – nothing, nothing, nothing…

2 comments:

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

With other ministrations thou, O Nature !
Healest thy wandering and distemper'd child :
Thou pourest on him thy soft influences,
Thy sunny hues, fair forms, and breathing sweets,
Thy melodies of woods, and winds, and waters,
Till he relent, and can no more endure
To be a jarring and a dissonant thing,
Amid this general dance and minstrelsy ;
But, bursting into tears, wins back his way,
His angry spirit heal'd and harmoniz'd
By the benignant touch of Love and Beauty.
your poetry reminded me of these lines by Coleridge

atindriyo said...

thanks a lot :)